Mystery Tape #1 - The First In A Series Of Unmarked Cassette Mix-Tapes

30 November 2007

I was looking for one song. Just one! I knew it was a song that I had on a mix-tape cassette. The problem is this:

  • I have a lot of mix-tapes. The ones that I consider worthy of road trip material got the treatment. Labels, artwork, the whole nine! (See previous posts). The song I was looking for was not on any of these marked tapes.
  • I have roughly 25 of these marked mix-tapes. I have about 100 unmarked mix-tapes! That's a lot of searching! Time-consuming and tedious.
  • "Skip to next track" is not in cassette's vocabulary. Did I say this will take some time?
The thought of banging my fingers on a hunk of machinery for days and days did not entice me to jump on this project. So, I created a little game for myself. I call it Mystery Tapes.

I will document these unmarked plastic music vessels on this website. And this way, I can recover even the most tucked away nuggets I might have hiding in these naked tapes. I might find the song I am looking for, eventually. We'll see.

Just because my strict guidelines for being a worthy mix-tape might have disregarded these castaways years ago, the fact is: These unmarked tapes were used more as holding tanks for future mix-tape mastery.

I believe I just took a dull, repetitive task and made it into a mission with a passion.

OK, I'll stop blabbing! I present to you...

...Mystery Tape #1...





Side A:
  1. The Stairs - Mexican R&B
  2. Camper Van Beethoven - Where The Hell Is Bill?
  3. Self - Lucid Anne
  4. Love And Rockets - Bound For Hell
  5. Dukes Of Stratosphere - My Love Explodes
  6. Sugar - The Gift
  7. Jason Falkner - Miracle Medicine
  8. Kevin Gilbert - Shadow Self
  9. The Stairs - Mr. Windowpane
  10. Ween - Piss Up A Rope
  11. Meat Puppets - Station
  12. Dukes of Stratosphere - Your Gold Dress
Side B:
  1. Ween - Tick
  2. Kevin Gilbert - Goodness Gracious
  3. Meat Puppets - Why?
  4. Jason Falkner - Afraid Himself To Be
  5. The Stranglers - Peaches
  6. Camper Van Beethoven - Lassie Went To The Moon
  7. Squeeze - Break My Heart
  8. Mano Negra - Soledad
  9. Harry Nilsson - Joy
  10. Kevin Gilbert - Kashmir
Favorite Song: Mano Negra - Soledad. What a vibrant, spicy song from the early 90's. I forgot how cool these guys are. I also have a friend at work named Soledad. I dedicate this first Mystery Tape to her. Hi Soledad!

Honorable Mention: Kevin Gilbert - Kashmir. What a find this was. The late Kevin Gilbert's rendition of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir is an instant classic. Shadow Self is also a great tune. Too bad that Mr. Gilbert is no longer with us. He would have done more fine work.

I hope you enjoy first Mystery Tape. I enjoyed converting it, even though the one song still eludes me. I'll get it soon, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Jeremy Lim said...

Hi Matt:

I stumbled across your blog digging through mixtape websites, and I really must show you something I hope you'll enjoy.

Have you ever made a mixtape with someone before? I'd like to introduce you to the collaborative digital mixtape. Think Deck-o-rator, but social and on Facebook.

Come check it out at MixxMaker.com.

As someone who's hardcore into mixtapes, I'd love to hear what you think!

Mitti Da Bawa said...

Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.
Cassete a MP3

 
Feed Shark