MixMaster Matt Is In The House. I'll Be Your TeeJay, aka Tape Jockey

10 November 2007

Yo Yo Wassup Y'all!

MixMaster Matt is in the house. Actually, it's an apartment. But who's counting square feet?

My name is Matthew and I have a flare for retro and the things that used to be hip.

Why is this not hip anymore?
I ask this question frequently. It's a quandry. Some things last forever. Diamonds, pictures, great music and memories. But then there are those things that didn't quite have the ooomph to gain longevity. Disco comes to mind, as does 8-Track and of course, the beloved Cassette.

Funny how the long lost art of creating mix tapes contains some of life's most precious and cherished moments. From creating the list of songs, to blending moods, making the labels and cover, to telling a story. I would spend hours and hours contemplating what songs to put and in which order. It was an obsession of mine.


I recently acquired a Technics M270X Cassette Player from the early 1980s. I have it hooked up to my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 soundcard on my computer. I use this setup to convert Cassettes to mp3 or CD. It's a great way to archive those nuggets that are only found on Cassette. I will be sharing some of those nuggets here, as well.

Some of my life's hinging moments were documented through these plastic time capsules. I look forward to documenting them in this blog. Please feel free to comment. I'd love to here from you.

0 comments:

 
Feed Shark